Learn Fundamentals For Precision Rifle Marksmanship
This course is designed for the shooter who wishes to develop the skills to engage small targets with a high degree of probability for first round hits. This includes sportsmen as well as hunters.
We will discuss equipment selection, the fundamentals for precision rifle marksmanship, supported field positions, ballistics, and ammunition considerations. Shooting will primarily be done at 100 and 200 yards. This course is designed for a rifle with a telescopic sighting device, preferable of at least 7 power magnification. During this class, we will be walking to the target and back. Please wear comfortable boots for such activity.
1. Bolt action or Semi-Automatic rifle in center fire cartridge.
2. Quality rifle scope of at least 7 power magnification. We strongly encourage the student bring a rifle capable of 2 minutes of angle accuracy, or better. While less accurate rifles will may work, it is possible the student will be frustrated with some target engagements if the rifle suffers from a lack of accuracy.
3. A quality optic is strongly encouraged. If you have questions as to the type or brand, please contact us for recommendations.
4. 200 rounds of good quality, factory ammunition. Again, match quality will be a strong selection here, lesser quality ammunition will leave the student unsure if their deficiencies are equipment/ammunition-related, or skills-driven.
5. Ballistic eye protection.
6. Hearing protection.
7. Shooter’s mat, as most of the shooting will be from the prone position.
8. A rear bag for the rifle stock.
9. Notebook and pen for note taking.
0800 Introduction and safety briefing.
0830 Equipment selection. Rifle, Scope, Ammunition, Ancillary items such as bags, range finders, Kestrel Etcetera. Ballistics (Internal, External, Terminal).
0930 Review of fundamentals of marksmanship and prone positions. Confirmation of zero.
1030 Use of turrets or hold overs.
1100 Rapid follow up shots.
1230 Jam/malfunction clearing procedures.
1300 Barricade Supported kneeling.
1400 Unusual Positions.
1500 Ball and Dummy drill.
1600 Final shot group exercise.